Bechamel Heaven


Bechamel sauce can be a bitch but Oh So awesome when you get it right. I've been making Bechamel since grade seven or eight Home Ec. class. However, as time passed I got a little over confident and decided that measuring signalled a lack of skill in the kitchen. As a result, my Bechamel has yielded varying degrees of success... that is until I rediscovered the joy of simplicity (and recipe) in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook (hello?) via Epicurious.


Really, what was I thinking. Who doesn't measure, especially when making Bechamel. Anyway, I'm humbled and my family is happy. No more lumps, no more adding milk 'cause it got too thick, no more scrambling to add flour after the fact because Wanda didn't measure! The results have given us wonderful scalloped potatoes and homemade Mac and Cheese (Awesome). It's surprisingly easy but the best comfort food evah!
Which brings me back to the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. My first experience with Fannie was in University. I had taken a job cooking for a couple in their eighties. They were wealthy, citoyens du monde who absolutely floored me one day when they casually told me that they had been friends with Jean Paul Lemieux!!! (what the what?!) They insisted on being served tea (on a silver tray of course) at 4pm and dinner was served at 7pm (with the table set formally and food served in silver). The job taught me a lot about trying new things though. I never knew ahead of time what I would be cooking and I only used the cookbooks that they had available and, you guessed it, Fannie Farmer was in their library! I'd like to take a look at that book again...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member