Soft Molasses Cookies


I have a friend, a great friend. One of those friends with whom you can allow the ebb and flow of friendship to happen without worry - a thick and thin kind of thing. However, we have one issue........ She DETESTS chocolate! I know! I can't figure it out, God knows I've tried. Really though, anything chocolate in smell, texture (even white chocolate - although, who cares about white chocolate - since when was that ever a deal breaker for anything?), you name it. Well, like I said 'thick and thin'. So, I'm always on the hunt for things that might be right up KT's alley so to speak. Last week I got a hit with the Snickerdoodles (sorry folks they didn't make it to the blog - still too busy barfing to get it together at that point). Well, this week my friend KT has placed an 'order'. She would like squidgy molasses cookies and I am happy to oblige.

These cookies are favourites of mine. Another offering from my ancient 'Better Homes and Gardens' booklet. Check out the copyright!!! LOL I can't even remember where I picked up this gem, it's also given me the Cappucino Flats that I posted in December. These cookies come out like beautiful, aromatic,
squidgy gingerbread cake (not the flat gingerbread cookies that we decorate but the real gingerbread. They fill the house with the BEST smells ever and in your belly it's like warm Christmas! So KT these are for you with love....





Soft Molasses Cookies

(Better Homes and Gardens)

2 cups flour (all purpose)
1 tsp bking soda

1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp allspice
dash of nutmeg
1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup sugar (not very much eh?!)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp instant coffee granules (I used instant espresso powder that I had on hand - 1/4 cup of strong coffee would substitute well


(The recipe calls for this next bit but I never do it)
35 pecan or walnut halves
1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
2-3 tbsp of milk


Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease a cookie pan (I use a Silicon baking pad).
Combine the flour, bking soda and spices and set aside.
Beat the shortening in a bowl for about a minute then add sugar and beat till fluffy. Add the egg and molasses and beat well.
Stir water in coffee crystals till dissolved. Add coffee mixture and flour mixture alternately to shortening mixture (beginning and ending with the flour) until blended.


Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheet and bake for 8 - 11 min. (till done). Remove and cool.

Optional bit that I never do:
Before baking the cookies place a nut half on top of each cookie.
After baking and cooling, mix together the icing sugar and mild and drizzle over the cookies.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

An open letter of apology to Chocolate everywhere:

Dear Mr. Chocolate, I'm sorry I told Wanda that I hated you. That's such a bad word! I'm sure you have a great personality, it's just that you're not my type. Don't worry, there are a lot of women out there who want you very badly, any time of the day every day! So I mean it when I say "It's not you, it's me."

So, Mr. Chocolate, I hope that we can we can make peace. I know that Wanda loves you very, very much. And since I love Wanda too, I know that we can work this out. So, let's be friends... from a distance.

Your friend,
KT

Wanda Thorne said...

Thanks so much KT! That goes really far with me and I'm sure that it will more than appease the Chocolate god!!! You're the best!

Unknown said...

I tried these cookies and they turned out great. Unfortunately, I didn't have quite enough molasses and I think next time I will add more ginger. We like walnuts and I think I will add them as well. But they were soft and chewy and tasted great.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member