Oatmeal and 'Colourful' Raisin Cookies...


Ok, so first off these are called 'Colourful' Raisin cookies because I wanted to make dried cranberries a little more palatable
for my kids. I must back track a bit here though. My friend (yes, my same best friend who has the 'issues' with chocolate) loves oatmeal from Starbucks but can't eat the nuts or the dried fruit that comes with it. These packets of dried fruit contains two kinds of raisins, dried currents and dried cranberries. So, she passes all of those extras on to me knowing that I will find something interesting to do with them (did I mention she's a awesome friend!!). Well, it's taken me a long time to find something to do with them but better late than never. I'm also brainstorming about some kind of sweet bread with these suckers but more on that...

These cookies are definitely old school Oatmeal Cookies... the kind that is sqidgy and sweet and has a little bit of a crunch all at the same time. The recipe is from an old 'Canadian Living' Magazine that I got in the nineties while babysitting (one of the many jobs I held down while going to University). The recipe is simple and easy to adapt and in all these years I haven't done a whole lot to it, added some spices here and there but I haven't played with the bare essentials, ie. flour/oatmeal ratio or butter/sugar/egg ratio.

All in all, this is one that I keep coming back to
and my kids are now eating 'colourful' raisins!


Oatmeal and Colourful Raisin Cookies.

1 cup butter (unsalted and at room temperature)

1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups oatmeal (I use regular or large flake)
1/2 cup dried fruit blend (or raisins)
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use Callebaut 70%)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Get a baking sheet ready with a silicone sheet, parchment or lightly greased.
Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
Separately, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to the butter mixture. Add in the rolled oats and mix well. Finally add the dried fruit, nuts and chocolate chips (remember some or even all of this is optional!)
Drop in tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet and bake for 8 - 9 min.
Cool and enjoy!


Now... what to make for Valentine's Day?????????

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member