Excuses, Excuses


I am so excited, my friends. Well, let me be careful here. The joy is bitter-sweet. The end of March Break approaches and it's been a wonderful one. We've had the most fantastic weather, eerily warm and sunny (I washed my outside windows yesterday!) for the middle of March. We've gotten some necessities out of the way, those errands that keep nagging at your brain. I've gotten lots of trail running in - FINALLY! - and we got the bikes out and the bike trailer and all that stuff. Lots of fun. We've also gotten together with some friends. And, as the end of the Break approaches, we are off to see some friends in Hawkestone.


Sometimes, you meet people who amaze you, who go above and beyond and whose commitment is an inspiration. The Jacobsen-Broda's are just those kind of people. They used to live downtown and have now moved where they can have more land, live a different kind of life (where vegetables can be grown, where rescued animals can be better housed) with more space in your head to think. They are also actively involved in community sustainability and nation-wide ecologically responsible energy projects! I LOVE IT!!!

My friend Civi is also a great cook. She has been vegetarian for a long time and has learned how to make it appealing to anyone and everyone. I have learned a lot from her. Now that we get to go and see them in their 'new' place (ok, probably about 2 yrs new!), I want to take something special with me for them to enjoy. (You know that this is also an excuse for me to bake something else, right?! A totally valid excuse though!)


I've only made this cake once before and, my friends, I can't even tell you how long ago that was. It's a spice cake, you see. Not chocolate. Not light, fluffy and white - So, it tends to get forgotten for birthdays and anniversaries - ya' know? A spice cake... with sour cream... and lemon glaze! Why did I ever forget such a thing. Sometimes (I know that this borders on blasphemy), who cares about chocolate! This recipe is from an OLD Gourmet magazine
*sigh* RIP. I know that the magazine was sometimes stodgy and out of touch but you could still find a gem here and there... really! This lovely, light, fragrant offering is definitely a diamond. (I know this only because I have written 'Absolutely Fabulous' beside this recipe on the piece of paper I ripped out of the mag) Civi and Brian are going to enjoy this one... I hope!



Walnut Spice Cake with Lemon Glaze
(Gourmet Magazine)

2 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 lg eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped fine
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
In a bowl sift together the flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and the salt.
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks on at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Mix the flour in alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with flour and mixing well after each addition.
In another bowl beat the egg whites until they just begin to hold stiff peaks. Gently fold into the batter (It will look like little clouds being mixed into the cake batter). Gently, but thoroughly, fold in the walnuts.
Spoon the cake batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until the cake tester comes out clean (seriously folks, I use a chop stick for this!). Let it cool in the pan for about 10 - 15 min. before removing to a rack to finish cooling.

Lemon Glaze:

4 cups icing sugar
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about one lemon)

Whisk together in bowl until mixed. Heat slightly. Poke some very small holes in the cake top and pour glaze over the cake.

This cake is totally worth any extra effort - the sour cream, whipping the egg whites (hmmm - as I'm writing this I realise that I totally and completely forgot about the poor walnuts - they did not get toasted and I did not fold them gently into the cake - Oops - I didn't miss them though!). I can't say enough times that the cake was fantastic! As was our day with Brian and Civi (and Roman and Lyric!) we ate some great food.


Went for a great walk in their woods/wetlands,


Came home with some prize winning honey (6th place in the Royal Canadian Winter Fair)...


And some great seeds and specimens to look at under the microscope.
Thanks Broda-Jacobsens for a great day!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member