This little Piggie goes all the way home.

It's meat weekend here. This event is unprecedented at our house. I still not really able to take in how much meat it is for me but... it's a lot. I 'catch a vapse' as the Trini's say. For some reason I just had to make this. I swear to God that I've never made Pork Chops before... today was the first. But, here they are smiling at me, so happy to be a part of my kitchen table. Not only did I make them but they kinda turned out ok.

It was at my Mother-in-law June's that I first had these chops. She was good enough to bring some dishes over for us after our second child was born to keep us going AND seasoned, breaded pork chops were in the mix. I loved them, it was much like good fried chicken - they taste just as good cold. When you can say that about a food you know you've got a 'keeper' on your hands.

I've kind of mixed things up with some of my own stuff and some of the ideas in the recipe at Smitten Kitchen. As you can see from the pictures, I served this with Risotto al Limone which has become my new favourite food ever! (It's really embarassing but I can't get enough! Creamy, cheesy, lemony... ahhhhhh, gotta go get another spoonful). I'm always afraid of these kinds of dishes turning out to be too dry. In the case of these chops however, I think that the initial bath in brine helps a little bit. The results here were as moist as I could have hoped for.



Seasoned Breaded Pork Chops

6 pork chops (mine were pretty big, if you have smaller ones then maybe go for 8)
large bowl or pot full of water and about 1/4 cup of salt.
2 cups of crumbs (could be cracker, I used a Matzoh-like cracker. Bread crumbs work well too)
1 cup of Corn flakes (this could be just about anything - think ground nuts, oatmeal flour, etc)
1/4 cup of parmesan
1 tbsp Parsley
1 tbsp Thyme
t tbsp dark brown sugar (yes, I used sugar)
salt and pepper to taste
2 - 3 eggs
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 - 3/4 cup flour


preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Get some trays ready on baking sheets, consider using something on each tray to help keep the meat from sticking.

Soak the meat in the brine (salted water) for about a half hour.
In the meanwhile, make sure that all the crumbs and corn flakes are similar in size and mix together in a bowl or shallow thing (don't know what to call it really!). Add the parmesan, spices, sugar and salt and pepper and mix together.

In another bowl mix the eggs and dijon together well. Put the flour in a third bowl.

Once meat has soaked, use a towel or something to dry each chop as much as possible. Dip each chop first into the flour, then the egg mixture and lastly the crumb mixture. Make sure to get both sides of the chop. Beware, this is the truly messy part of the process - your fingers will get really yucky no matter what... just accept it and move on!


Place each finished chop on the prepared trays and place in the heated oven (just make sure that the oven shelf is approximately in the middle of the oven - oops, should have mentioned that earlier). Place the meat in the oven and bake for about 30 - 35 min.
Let the meat rest for a few minutes before cutting.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member