Pecan Cinnamon Cupcakes


This weekend I accomplished something that has been on my list for a long time. No, not my taxes... those are still on my list. This was a lot more fun. I completely reorganized my recipe box. I received a special recipe accordion folder from my Mom one Christmas - probably at least ten years ago. It finally died - the bottom fell out. It was completely and utterly irreparable. So, I've had to move on. I bought a completely ugly but made of recycled material 3 ring binder and put all my recipes in the binder. What was fun about this little project was that I finally had a look at all my recipes. There is a lot of good stuff in there that I haven't taken the time to try as yet. Among some of those recipes I found this little gem. To be honest, I only put it in the folder a few weeks ago. It was recipe that I found in the spring issue of the
Food and Drink magazine offered at the LCBO (liquor control board of Ontario - it's a long, sad story). This magazine is really worth checking out online. Some lovely offerings here.



I'm not quite sure what is particularly spring-like enough about pecans to merit this entry in the spring issue but who cares - it looks great and the caption under the title said that it was inspired by fresh cinnamon buns (much better than the stale cinnamon bun, I agree!). The cupcakes come together quickly and they give a lovely spongy texture. The icing can be a little finicky and sets quickly so I found that I had to make sure that I had the cupcakes cooled before make the icing. However, the icing tastes like a cross between caramel and maple syrup - beautiful! Who cares about taxes!!!




Pecan Cinnamon Cupcakes

makes 12 cupcakes


2 lg eggs

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

2 cups sifted cake and pastry flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 cup milk, room temperature

1/4 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped





Icing



1/4 cup unsalted butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup whipping cream

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cups icing sugar

1/2 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped




Cupcakes:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Line 12 muffin tin cups.

Place eggs in small bowl and cover with hot tap water (to get them to room temperature)

Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time and then vanilla. Thoroughly mix sifted flour with baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

Alternately add flour mixture and milk into the butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Stir in finely chopped pecans. Divide the batter into the lined cups.

Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until light golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a rack.


Icing:


Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cream. Stirring occasionally, bring to a full rolling boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, cool 15 minutes on a rack without stirring.

Stir in icing sugar until smooth. Immediately ice cooled cupcakes because the frosting sets very quickly. Press a few pieces of pecan into the icing while it's still soft.




... and this is what kid #2 ate!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, he knows what the good part is. :) I don't blame him, although these cupcakes do sound good and look good too.

Wanda Thorne said...

True enough... and Yup they were very good. Ugh though! After he ate that he asked for another!!!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member