The garden July


Here's a little garden info for all'ya. I've been busy at it this year. To be honest, it gives me a huge amount of joy and satisfaction. I love the flowers and all but it's growing my own food, such as it is, that really gets me.

I started the raspberry patch with one little tiny raspberry plant (can't be called a bush) about 8 years ago or so and now it's taken over about half of my back garden. That's okay though. Truth be told, I was getting a little pissed off that I had so much bloody leaf and so little berry to show for it. This year, finally, it's coming into it's own. If things continue, I figure that by next year I can really start doing something with them. We're getting some hefty bowls of fresh raspberry this crop and there should be another one in the early fall - Sweet. No really... Sweet!

I picked up a couple of tomato plants at Grassroots (Danforth) - organic seedlings - and they're doing gangbusters. I only have four plants but who knows how many tomato's I'll end up with at the end of the day. This one is the biggest one and it's a real bruiser. Can't wait for this one to ripen.

My beans are planted in window boxes (remember the back half of the garden is gone now for raspberries and it's a city garden after all!). I'm hoping that this gets kid #2 (Mr. Finicky) a little more jazzed about beans. I've got some lovely purple variety that I didn't save the name of (figures) that is just behind these green lovelies. Once they get a little bigger I'll slap up a pic of them too ;-)

My fave little veg right now is my little, eensie eggplant. Look how cute. It's just started to bulge out from under the flower pod. I think that it's the most adorable thing ever. I've actually got about 4 more blooms on the plant. I have no clue how many eggplants are a normal yield from one plant. I'll have to check that out.

My cucumbers are also doing well but they haven't started to grow into anything edible just yet... I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

LOVE it! I love anything gardening. Everything looks totally delish, Wanda!

Wanda Thorne said...

Ok - here's the tragedy though. Last night something took my eggplant! It's gone. I'm bereft. It's still blooming so I guess I'll have to see if anything else comes up. I'll surround it with some kind of barbed wire or something next time.

Melissa said...

Pests! What about growing garlic? Apparently that is a major pest deterrant...or bone meal, or egg shells...

Unknown said...

Wanda, I didn't realize that you had so many veggies planted in your back yard. That's wonderful! You will certainly enjoy the "fruits" of you labours when it is time to harvest them. Are you hoping to do some canning?

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member