Summer is Frittering away.

I'm making Cheddar and Zucchini fritters and was just trying to be witty. The reality is though that summer is, in fact, slowly but surely frittering away. I'm still working at home (not at the school but still doing school work remotely) and I'm ready to be completely off for a while. Really though Wanda - 'Waaaa, poor me. I have to work longer than I want to. Waaa, I want more time off. Waaa' Get over it.

I'm lucky enough to get time off and I'm lucky enough to be able to take my kids out to do fun stuff. Today we are heading out to the movies. Fun!!! I feel a bit bad going to the movies in the summer 'cause it's so beautiful outside and we have that weather for such a short time. Meh. We're goin' to the movies. I whipped this up before we left. It was beyond easy. There was no frying, these fritters bake instead of fry. Nice. So, you don't have to stand at the stove for any length of time. If you've got some zucchini growing in your garden then this is a great way to use up some extras. Everything came together in less than 10 minutes and they tasted great.

After baking, everybody had some healthy food to eat before we went to the movie to chop off our arm and leg and give it to the theatre (and that was before we hit the concession stand).

Cheddar-Zucchini fritters
(Chatelaine Magazine)
makes about 8 but I would double the recipe in future.

2 small zucchini
1/4 cup cornstarch
dash of salt, paprika, nutmeg and cayenne
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
2 green onions (I used garden chives and parsley)
1 egg white ( I used a whole egg)

Sauce (I didn't bother with it)

1 lemon
1/4 cup mayo
1 tsp dijon mustard (grainy especially nice)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a cookie sheet for baking.
Coarsely grate the unpeeled zucchini. Drain by putting it in a towel or paper towel and press the water out.


Place the zucchini in a bowl and add the cornstarch. I also added the salt and spices. Mix it all well, making sure that the cornstarch is evenly distributed.


Throw in the cheese and green onion and mix. Throw in the egg and mix well.
Form into paties using about 1/3 of a cup of the mixture. Press each mound down slightly. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and carefully turn over then bake for another 8 min. or so. After removing from the oven, let them stand for a few minutes to firm up and cool a little. Throw together the sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Serve on the side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member