Lemon Drizzle Loaf


Well here it goes. My big confession. I'm not a fan of the oldies. Nope. Not at all. I don't love fifties music. I'm not gaga over the Beatles. As a forty year old white woman, this is quite declaration, I realise. However, on the weekend kid #1 was performing in a huge street festival that takes place here in Toronto, '
Taste of the Danforth'. She was dancing hip-hop, jazz... that kind of thing. Before her first performance, she and some of her class friends were telling me that they were dancing to some 'oldies'. Now when I think of oldies it's fifties music that comes to mind. However, when they got up to dance here is what was playing:

I've got the Power (proper name is 'The Power')
Girls just wanna have fun... and even a piece by 'New Radicals' called 'You get what you Give'

OLDIES!!! What the What??? To be fair, I think that they meant 'Old School' but whatever - I felt like a complete antique.

Now Lemon Loaf is an oldie - no doubt about it. This is one oldie that I love. Anything lemon is most welcome in my belly truth be told. However when I saw this ... YES, in the UK Delicious Magazine, it was just enough of a twist on the old classic as to grab my interest. Here's the thing. It's not just the regular 'add lemon zest and lemon juice' business. With this recipe you through the whole lemon (2 lemons to be exact) in a blender or food processor and whiz the things into oblivion. Cool.

Finally tried the recipe and it's turned out very tasty. It's VERY lemony - yeah!!! I had to bake mine for a bit longer than the recipe indicated and although the edges are a bit dark it was none the worse for wear. I also changed up the icing a little bit because when I made it to the recipe it was just too runny. The crumb is very nice too, it's a little bit coarser in texture because the whole lemon stuff is in the loaf. It works though.


Lemon Drizzle Cake (adapted from Delicious Magazine UK)
serves 8 - 110

1 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 lemons
300 g self raising flour*
440 sugar
4 large eggs

icing:
40 g butter
400 g icing sugar, sifted
juice of half an orange (or mix with lemon juice)

* to make self-raising flour, combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 1/4 tsp baking powder and a dash of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour a large (2 litre) loaf pan.
Chop up the lemons and whiz in the blender or food processor until finely chopped (take out any seeds). Add the butter, sugar and eggs and whiz until smooth. Mix with the flour and pour into loaf pan. Bake about 1 hr or until a cake tester comes out clean (I was about 8 minutes over or so). Remove from oven and cool completely (turn onto a cooling rack once it's cooled just a little).

Icing: Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until it's the desired consistency. If it's too runny add more icing sugar little by little. Ice the loaf once it has cooled completely.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Mmmmmmmmmm...can you convert that to our measurements? Or is there a recommended website that might work well for that?

Wanda Thorne said...

I know... the switch really sucks. Let me get on that and see if I can get some conversions that actually work. Maybe I should make it again and then do two measurements - that might work.

Nathalie said...

OMG. I love Lemon Loaf. This is one recipe that I'll have to try!! Don't worry, you're not the only one feeling antique about the list of music the kids were dancing too!! LOL

Wanda Thorne said...

Let me know if you do try it Nathalie - Lemon Loaf is one of those things in life that I can't do without either. The tangy, The sweet, The best! Agreed.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member