Whole Wheat Buns


It's the wonderful, lazy days of summer. The breeze is slow and warm. The windows are all open and the night is lovely. This is a wonderful Toronto summer. This makes up for last years crapy,cool, rainy 'summer'. All but forgotten in my brain. This is the best stuff though. This is what we all suffer through that crappy winter for... to get to this. I know that for many it's still too hot to cook but I have to eat. Eating just cannot wholly be cold food for me. So today, not only am I cooking but I'm baking. Dinner rolls.

It's crazy, I know that. When else am I going to have time to do this stuff though? I love it. Plus, each time I do something with yeast AND it's successful, it will boost my confidence - right. I do have a small yeast phobia that needs to get sorted. So, we are going to be serving burgers tomorrow - recipe to follow - and I decided that I was going to try some homemade buns. Now I need to discuss burger buns here for a moment.

I think that most store bought burger buns are way too cakey, tasteless and way too big. If I must eat something that is tasteless and joyless then I want to minimize the thing as much as possible. I'm hoping that this recipe succeeds for me. Not just so that I have a reasonably sized and well risen (fingers crossed) bun but also so that it's tasty. If you see my burger post without the homemade buns then you'll know that they sucked.

Whole Wheat Buns
makes 1 doz. (approx)

Scald 1 cup of milk
Add in
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tsp salt
Let it cool to lukewarm

Mix 1 cup of lukewarm water with
1 package of yeast
1 tsp sugar
set aside for 10 min.
After 10 min. the yeast mixture should be foamy. Mix the lukewarm milk with the yeast mixture. In another bowl mix 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 2 cup of all purpose flour.
Mix 1/2 the flour into the liquid and mix well. Add the rest of the flour into the mixture and incorporate it well.
Place on a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let it rise in a warm, dry place for 80 min.


The dough should have doubled in size. Punch it down and divide into two halves. Break each half into 6 pieces and shape as desired. Place the buns in a greased baking dish, allowing room for each to spread and rise.

Cover and let it rise again for another hour.
Bake at 400 degrees F for about 20 - 25 min.

Result: The buns were tasty (despite me forgetting the salt! ugh). They weren't big and puffy which is exactly what I wanted. However, in future (yea - that's a good sign eh? I'm actually entertaining the possibility of future attempts) I would actually make them a touch puffier. All in all, not a terrible amount of effort for a good result - 7.5/10 (I want to try a white bread recipe next time too)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member