Cabbage Dijonnaise and weekdays off



I had two weekdays off this week.
Weekday #1 was because I was sick.  Ugh.  Stupid cold.  Thought that I had kicked it and then it came back with a vengeance and knocked me out for a day.  So, even though I was sick it was all kinds of awesome to be home during the day.  I listened to CBC radio.  Stayed in my PJ's for a long time and just generally took it easy.  Even better was that I didn't feel guilty about taking it easy because I was sick.
Weekday Off #2 was because we had a P.A. day at school.  It was across the entire school board and so a whole lot of us were off but I ain't complainin'  Feels like a vacation, truth be told.  This time though I didn't feel wretched.  I didn't stay in my PJ's all day.  I took some time to be lazy but I got some work done too.
Kid #1 and D went off to see a movie that was opening that day.  You might've heard of it before.  It's called 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'.  I'm not jealous or anything.  They needed some bonding time and so off they went.  I stayed home with Kid #2 who alternated between asking when we could go to Granny's and when Kid #1 and Daddy were coming home, pretty much the whole time.  I'm not upset about that or anything.

Kid #2 insisted on the LEGO dude - in between question #1 and #2
Being home though, I got to eat lunch.  Like really eat lunch.  I hate eating lunch at work.  I don't know why, really I don't.  I don't even fight it anymore.   What I've taken to doing this school year is have tubs of my favourite yogurt at work and just scarf some of that down at some free 5 minute interval during the work day and then hightail it home at 2:30 and eat something then.  At that point though, it's late.  So, I don't usually eat a lunch, I'll just nibble on something.
Well, today I ate a proper lunch.  I made this.


Thank you's for the inspiration Food & Drink magazine.  I had a part of a cabbage that needed to be used and... well, I'm sure that you all know how I feel about sausage.  I use them all the time.  Perfect marriage.  And it was yummy.
Thank you's to the Toronto Catholic School Board for the day off.
Thank you's to the Sun for shining so that I could take great pictures IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY ON A FRIDAY.


Cabbage Dijonnaise adapted from Food & Drink magazine
serves 4

1/2 head green cabbage, sliced about 1 inch thick
3 tbsp olive oil or butter
1/2 med sized onion, sliced
3 pork sausages, casings removed (I used hot italian sausage)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
splash of red wine vinegar
dash of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup of chicken broth
1 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp honey (or brown sugar)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Boil the cabbage slices for about 7 min.  Drain and set aside.
Heat a large skillet.  Add in the oil or butter and saute the onions alone for a few minutes.  Add the sausage, crumbling them while you add them in.  Add in the garlic.  Cook together for about 4 minutes.  Add in the cabbage and combine well.  Continue cooking and add in the wine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, dijon and chicken broth.  Mix well.  Add in the rest of the herbs, salt and honey.  Mix and simmer for about 20 min.


Serve with rice, mashed potato (Yum) or even butter egg noodles.

Kid #1 managed to eat a good lunch before venturing  out

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member