Cappuccino Flats and a Merry Christmas


I'm doing what is probably a big No-No in the food blogging world (I don't know that for sure, I'm just guessing).  I'm posting a recipe again.  Twice in one year.  Same recipe.  Not one change save for maybe some better pictures this time around.
I also have to make a confession:
I did not make these for the cookie exchange party even though I consider these the best cookies I've ever made... which is precisely why I didn't make them to give away.
That's right, these are probably the one and only cookie that I jealously hoard.  I only make them once a year (there's actually a good reason for that - chocolate coating doesn't work well in a room temperature kitchen in the summer).  It's kind of like Mallomars in the U.S.  (readers you can enlighten me)... they only show up for a brief time and I want to get all I can.


I wanted to share these, my favourite cookie recipe, AGAIN with you on this special day... Christmas day.  It's like a little treat for those of you who are scouting the Net today.  The pictures still don't do these cookies justice.  They are soft on the inside with a hint of coffee.  The chocolate on the outside is perfect.  These are cookies that melt in your mouth.
If you make them keep these things in mind:
You might want to keep eating of other things at a minimum on the day you make them.
You might not want to share so keep entertaining to a minimum.
If you do have people over... hide these!
You might want to have extra ingredients around... for the second batch that you'll probably want to make right away.


If you make these, please let me know... especially if you like them.  Consider this recipe my Christmas gift to all of you (well that's kind of cheap of me, since I actually gave it to you last year... hmm, I'll come up with something better).


Cappuccino Flats (from Better Homes and Gardens)
about 2 1/2 dozen

2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
1 tbsp water
1 egg

Dip:
1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tbsp shortening

Place a heat proof boil over simmering water and melt the squares of unsweetened chocolate.  Set aside.
Combine the flour, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.  Set aside
In another bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup shortening, butter, sugar and brown sugar.  Cream together until light and fluffy.
Mix together the coffee crystals and the water and add to the butter mixture.  Add the eggs to the butter mixture and mix well.
Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine well.  Form the mixture into two logs and wrap and chill the logs overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet.  Slice each log into 1/4 inch sliced and place on the cookie sheet.


Bake for 10 - 12 min or until edges are just browned and firm.
Remove from oven and cool on baking racks.
In a heavy bottomed pan, melt the chocolate chips and shortening together.  Once melted, dip each (completely cooled) cookie until it's 1/2 covered with the chocolate.  Set on some parchment paper until the chocolate is set.

2 comments:

Dolores Stephenson said...

Thanks for posting Cappuccino Flats & a Merry Christmas! Folks write in for brand name recipes like these (Better Homes & Garden-Circa 1970 ) all the time!

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore these cookies! I think they are perfect with a cup of coffee while watching a movie. YUM!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member