Brown sugar caramel glaze with some cake and ahhhhh Sunshine


We were supposed to get a crappy Easter weekend.  All week I was anxiously checking the environment Canada website to see if things had changed.  Rain... all the time.
But then on Thursday a wonderful thing happened.  The forecast changed.  Suddenly we were in for a weekend of not bad weather at all.  In fact, the way things have turned out, it's been a damn good weekend.
We were out in short sleeves.  Jackets were optional.
These are out in full force.


And I've got a bush full of these happening soon too.


The real bonus is not working and therefor being off to enjoy it fully.  THE BEST.
I got so energized that I actually called people.  This is a big deal.  I don't call people.  I don't like using the phone.  I didn't even love it that much as a teenager.  Trust me, I had my fair share of long calls but it wasn't my first choice.  And at this point in my life being on a phone for more than 5 minutes is right down there with root canals on my 'things I love to do' list.  So for me to pick up the phone and call someone to see if they would like to come over and hang... yeah, big deal... I got their voice mail.
We did connect later though and arranged a time.


All this was important because I really wanted to make this cake.  As soon as I saw it I wanted to make it.  That oozy glaze candy thing dripping down the sides made me want to lick the computer screen.  The recipe makes a lot of cake.  I needed an excuse to make this thing.  Honestly though, with that glaze who even cares about the cake.  The cake is only there as a prop for the stupid glaze really.  That why, even though Dana calls it 'Brown sugar cake' I'm calling it 'Brown Sugar Caramel Glaze... with cake'.  That pretty much sets it straight I reckon.  Make this glaze.  Don't even bother with the cake if you're not a baker but make this glaze.  Serve it on ice cream.  Drizzle over bacon. Use it to cover up other stuff you've made that is middling to average... whatever... don't serve it with anything else... just make the damn glaze.  The cake... is optional.  Seriously a yawner.
I choose to make this in a tube pan because I seem to be the tube pan queen or something.  Worked beautifully but by all means do what Dana did and make it in two loaf pans and extend the experience.  For all you out there who observed Lent, this could be your kick off cake.  Happy Easter all...


Brown Sugar Caramel Glaze with cake (adapted from Dana Treat)
makes 1 tube pan or 2 loaves

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature (Honestly, I might use a smidge less than that)
3 cups lightly packed brown sugar (I used dark but Dana used light - go with her)
5 lg eggs (if you're feeling like a super-hero then I would whip the egg whites separately)
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Grease and flour a tube pan (or the loaf pans)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
In another bowl combine the vanilla and milk and set aside.
In a third bowl beat the butter until it's very light and very fluffy.  Add in the sugar little by little and continue to beat.  Beat until light and fluffy.
Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Mix in the flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with the flour.  I took about 4 rounds to get it all in.
Pour the mixture into the tube pan or split between two loaf pans evenly.
Bake the cake anywhere from 1  - 1 1/2 hours (I took about 1 hr 20 min).  Check regularly after 1 hour.  The cake should pull away from the sides of the pan and the tester should come out with light crumbs.  The top of the cake will feel springy.
Remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely on a baking rack.

GLAZE:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk or cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 - 1 1/2 cup icing sugar

In a heavy bottomed saucepan melt the butter.  Continue over med. heat and add in the brown sugar.  Cook the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes.  Add in the milk or cream, turning down the heat but continuing to let the mixture bubble.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the salt and vanilla.
Cool for about 10 minutes.  Add the icing sugar and stir until completely mixed.
Pour the heavenly mixture over the completely cooled cake.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member