Creamy Cabbage Gratin


When it's a long weekend I sometimes start anticipating the end of it before it even begins.  It's kinda crazy. There are so many things that I want to pack into the time.  This particular long weekend my list has been especially long.
The May long weekend (Victoria Day here in Canada) is traditionally the weekend when it become safe to plant all your annuals and vegetables.  So, that's the first thing on my list.  So far I have some onion, some tomato plants.  I also got these...


and I'm pumped about getting all of this in the ground.  It's a start.
Kid #2 needed new shoes and a haircut... got that out of the way.
We were also getting together with one of my best friends.  We've known each other for just over 20 years, through way too many ups and downs to even start listing.
Having my friend T coming over meant cooking... which lead me to finally get to this spot.  I've been eyeing it for a while.  We decided recently that we were committed to finding meat that was both local and grass-fed or pastured.  However, that usually means getting in touch with local farmers or joining a meat CSA (yes, they do exist people) and, most importantly, investing in a chest freezer.  We will invest in a chest freezer eventually but just don't feel like we're in a position financially to do it right now.  So when I spotted this place I had to check it out.  Sure enough, grass-fed, local, mennonite farmers and I can purchase just what I need without over stocking.  I finally got there yesterday and brought home a fresh chicken that blew me away... beautiful.
So, roasted chicken, roasted carrots, mashed potato with chives and sour cream, gravy and brownies (post is on it's way) were on the menu last night.  But I was feeling pumped and kinda antsy.  I also knew this that cabbage had been waiting so patiently for me to give it some love.  I had to try this.


The recipe is from Deborah Madison and it's a beautiful, simple, tasty way to incorporate cabbage in a meal.  It was not terribly labour intensive but managed to be more than satisfying...
We had a great time... eating a lot, drinking even more and laughing freely... more fun crossing something off of a 'to-do' list than should be allowed and a wonderful kick-off to a long weekend.


Creamy Cabbage Gratin adapted slightly from 'Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone'
serves 4 or 6 (as a side)

Butter for the baking dish
1 1/2 lbs (about 5 cups) cabbage (savoy or green), sliced into 1 inch thick strips
1/3 cup flour
11/2 cups milk
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1/2 cup cheddar grated
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
3 tbsp parsley or dill, chopped fine
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp tomato paste (I used a small amount of ketchup - didn't have the paste)
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
dash of pepper sauce or cayenne

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Butter a deep sided baking dish and set aside.
Boil the cabbage in salted water for about 5 minutes.  Drain and press out as much water as possible.  Set aside.
Whisk together the remaining ingredients.  Combine everything in the baking dish.  Make sure that the liquid almost covers the cabbage.  Add a little more milk if needed.  Sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on the top of the baking dish.
Bake about 40 min (the recipe says 50 but mine was starting to burn at the edges by about 42 minutes or so).  Keep an eye on it and if it needs 50 minutes then that's cool.
Cool a little and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member