Cornmeal Yeast Bread


So I've been thinking a lot about my perceptions lately.  Mostly because D is reading this book and he keeps talking about it so much that I feel like now I don't really need to read it only I have to read because I've committed to doing it already and once I've done that then I just have to see it through.  That's just me.
So with perception.  Yeah.  You know first impressions and all that.  It partly makes me sad that we believe  that we've summed up another human being so quickly.  It makes me realize that we are sometimes the shallow creatures that we complain about.  It also makes me think that I need to clean up my own act.  I think that the reality is that 'first impressions' become lasting impressions and that the world kinda functions around that a whole lot more than it doesn't.  Part of me just has to get past the 'this is so shallow' and move on.
I always thought that 'politics' at work or anywhere else was really really bad.  I thought that my work would be my merit badge and that would stand out all by itself.  I thought that manipulation was a terrible, no good, very bad thing.  But the more I move through this life I've been given the more I realize that politics exits everywhere... from the bedroom to the boardroom.  Manipulation in some form or other is just a part of things functioning in life.  God help you if you try to parent or teach anybody anything without using some kind of manipulation (hopefully not the  'If you don't do this now I'll...' kind.  I certainly never have).  I guess that right now in my life I'm kind of ok with it.  Most of the time I can see the 'impressions' happening.  I can eye the politics going on in front of me and I can make a decision about whether or not I want to play along with the manipulation.  I get it.
Of course there's the really bad stuff that is totally destructive and should never be tolerated.  Seen.  I'm not talking about that stuff though.  I mean when you really think about it how many times a day do you try to get someone to see your side of things or wonder how you should handle a situation.  It's called making it work... right?  (see I gotya there)
Anyway... I'm just thinkin'.  It's cool.  It's probably not coherent yet but it's fun having stuff lolling around in my head for a while.


So this bread.  Yeah.  What can I say about bread right?  You should try making bread though, Yo.  It's fun.  I like the kneading part.  It's soothing for my soul.  And when I smell it starting to get all yeasty and rising and crap it feels awesome.
To be honest this stuff is like a cross between corn bread and challah.  Yum.  I don't know for sure if I would split this into two loaves.  If I try it again I might just do one big one.  If you try it before I do then definitely let me know.
p.s.  I downloaded this a few days ago and it's just stupid fluffy fun.  I'm embarrassed but there it is.  I downloaded other stuff too that's much more 'proper'.


Cornmeal Yeast Bread from 'More With Less'
makes 2 loaves

Take 2 pkg dry yeast
dissolve in 1/2 cup lukewarm water
Set aside.
Combine:
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup scalded milk (milk that's brought to a boil them removed from the stove)
Cool to lukewarm.

Combine:
1 egg
the milk mixture
the yeast mixture
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal

Mix until it forms a soft dough.
turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes adding more flour as needed (up to another 1 cup)
The dough should feel pretty smooth.
Place in a greased bowl.  Cover with a clean cloth and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled - about an hour.
Punch down.  Divide in half.
Place in 2 greased loaf pans.  Cover and let rise until almost doubled - about 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake the bread anywhere from 30 - 45 minutes.  The top should be golden brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member