Cabbage 'Spanish' Rice


It's March Break for us in Toronto.  This is awesome.
We were contemplating going away but decided in the end to stay here and I'm so glad that we did.  It's given me a chance to do some much needed sleeping in and since the clocks sprang forward on the weekend, what was formerly sleeping in until 8:30 a.m. is now sleeping in until 9:30 which feel just that little bit more teenage and rebellious.
It's given me an opportunity to spend some time with my BFF whose going to start foster-parenting very soon and who knows what kind of time we'll get to spend together then.
It's also given me a chance to sit back and think.  Always dangerous.  More on that to come.  In the meantime here are some other things we've been doing to keep ourselves busy.
We've fixed and replaced our bathroom fixtures.


I've re-potted a plant.


I've realised that D and I  have a serious addiction to these that needs an intervention.  However, since we're both hopelessly addicted I don't know who will take on the responsibility of an intervention... maybe my 11 yr old.


Since it's been near summer temps I'll be getting my bike out and cleaning her up after a winter of biking through you don't even know what.


With all my extra time off I made bread... twice.  I roasted a chicken.  I mashed some potatoes and celery root.  I roasted some turnip and carrots with the chicken AND I finished it off with gravy.  Awesome gravy.  I made cookies (you'll be getting that post next too).  Lastly, I made this stuff.  It's a nod to my Mom and the awesome poor man's cabbage rolls that she used to make us.  I loved them.  I've jazzed it up a little differently.  Used sausage meat.  Added some saffron.  Threw in some sour cream (or yogurt in my case.  But it must involve cabbage.  It must involve tomato and it must involve CHEESE.  We'll be eating well for the week and quite honestly I could live on this kind of food.  Well, if those damn chips didn't exist.


Cabbage 'Spanish' Rice adapted from 'Simply in Season' and My Mom
serves 6 - 8

1 cup onion, sliced or diced
4 cups green cabbage, thickly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs (ish) ground pork, beef or sausage meet
3 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
500 ml diced tomatoes
2 veggie or chicken boullion cubes
good pinch of saffron soaked in about 2 tbsp warm water
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chipotle powder (or chili powder)
dash of ground coriander
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups medium cheddar cheese, shredded

Heat a large pot or soup pot over medium heat.  Add about 3 - 4 tbsp of oil (your choice - I use some kind of leftover fat) and turn down to med/low heat.  Add the cabbage, onion and garlic.  Heat for about 15 minutes and turn the heat down a little more if it starts getting too brown - you want it to be golden brown.  
Add in the meat and continue to cook together for another 10 - 15 minutes. 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.   

2 comments:

Melissa said...

My mouth is watering...nobody here would ever eat it except ME!

Wanda Thorne said...

I know how you feel. We've now entered the phase where 3 out of the 4 of us will finally eat this kind of thing... no matter - I'd eat it all myself. Quite happily I might add. Maybe try making a smaller version - less rice and meat or something. It would still be amahhhhhhzing.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member