Bran and Date Muffins


It came over me like a fit.  I just saw the picture of these things and new immediately that I needed to make them.  It's such a weird things because I honestly can't think of any time in my life when I have craved a bran muffin.  My weirdest/funniest bran muffin memory - my sister is going to kill me - happened while I was living in Montreal.  I was ridiculously young and had only been living there for a few months when my Mom and my sister came to visit for a weekend.  I was super excited and planned a full itinerary of events, which fortunately included sleeping, that I thought we would all enjoy.  I had just discovered these restaurant/cafe thingies that focussed on serving desserts.  Great desserts.  And there was one of the best within walking distance (a good walk) from where I lived.  I was so excited to drag them to this dessert place.  The specialty was cheesecake and you could go to the showcase and check out what you wanted to order.  Awesome.  My sister was pretty young at the time  - she's ten years younger than me - probably about 10 or so.  It had been a pretty big day and she was feeling kinda out of it.  Either way when the server came to take our order I excitedly ordered my raspberry mousse cheesecake and a decaf cappuccino.  My Mom gave her order... something similar.  My sister was last and she ordered... a bran muffin.  Stop.  What.  A BRAN MUFFIN.  I couldn't believe it.  Nearly fell off my chair.  I brought my sister all this way to this awesome dessert place and she orders.... a bran muffin.  I got over the shock and I learned to appreciate that my sister and I could do weird things together (she was addicted to 'The Monkeys' and we watched 'Desperately Seeking Susan' so many times that she started watching it while hanging upside down just so that she could see what it looked like) and that in fact, she got a lot of her weirdness from me.


It still makes me laugh though.  I've kinda had this thing against bran muffins ever since and it honestly wasn't until I saw these bran muffins that I realised that its changed.  I no longer blame bran muffins for stealing my sisters opportunity to enjoy absolutely wonderful desserts.


What's cool about these muffins is that they're almost eggless and sugarless and you don't miss it at all.  They're really moist and tasty.  I LOVED that these muffins included dates instead of raisins.  Raisins aren't my thing.  I'm not a fan of the texture and how they get all weird when they're baked... whatever. Dates are hot.
So, I think that this bran muffin recipe marks a cool new time in my life.  One where bran muffins no longer represent what I'm missing out on - cool, awesome, light, mousse, dessert things - and are something that I kinda like... maybe my sister had it right all along.


Bran and Date Muffins adapted from Good Things Grow
makes about 9 medium sized muffins

1 cup dates, pitted and diced very fine
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used organic greek yogurt)
2 generous tbsp honey or molasses
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 egg
1 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Line about 9 muffin cups with liners.
Combine the warm water and the finely diced dates.  Set aside for about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 75 degrees F.
Combine the wheat bran, both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.  Mix and set aside.
Combine the yogurt, honey, melted butter and egg together and mix well.
Add the softened dates and water to the yogurt mixture.  Mix well.
Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture.  Stir until everything is just combined and all ingredients are wet.
Spoon batter just to the top of each muffin tin.
Bake for about 15 - 18 minutes or until the muffins feel kinda firm to the touch and a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool completely (or break them open warm and slather with something wonderful - think butter or cream cheese).  Store well covered or freeze for later use.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Archivo del blog

About Me

My photo
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.

My Favourite Cookbooks

  • Naparima Girls High School Cookbook
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • More-with-Less Cookbook
  • Moosewood Cookbook

About Me

My Photo
Wanda Thorne
St Michael's Choir School is celebrating it's 75th anniversary year of service to St Michael's Cathedral. Part of the school celebration is a trip to Italy where our boys from Grades 5 - 12 will be performing and celebrating Mass. This blog will be chronicling our adventures. Wanda Thorne is the Vocal Coach at St Michael's Choir School. Gerard Lewis is the Grade 7/8 Homeroom teacher at the Choir School.
View my complete profile

Followers

Search

Blog Archive

About

Pages

FBC Member